Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cabin Heat Control Cable

My 2nd attempt at forming an RTV gasket on the cooler box door was much more successful.  However, there was a section of gasket that I felt was too narrow, so I removed the door and added some RTV and then put the door on a piece of copy paper with paraffin wax applied.  It worked well.  The gasket is now acceptable.  
I then installed the tubing from the coolant overflow bottle to the expansion tank.  Last week I had Van’s send me some new hose because I didn’t think the piece I had was the correct material.  It turns out it is so I put the new section of hose in stock and used the original section.
I turned my attention to the cushioned clamps attaching the cabin heat control cable to the engine mount.  It would have been far easier to attach these clamps with the muffler removed.  I am not willing to remove the muffler because the springs are dampened with RTV.  By holding the clamps together with some large forceps I was able to install the bolt.  I used some a  Gorilla tape loop on the end of my finger to hole the nut and then with a 10” extension on my 3/8” socket I was able to get the nut started.  After that I could reach in with a ¼” wrench to hold the nut and tighten the nut and bolt with the 10” extension.  Now I only have 2-more cushion clamp assemblies to finish the cable installation.