Monday, October 28, 2013

Engine Controls

Today I installed the engine controls.  I started by installing the throttle control in the instrument panel.  I routed the control cables through the grommet in the firewall and separated them with the longer control cable on the left.  I then installed the choke control.  I put the cables through the instrument panel.  I pushed them through the grommet and then realized I had not installed the locking nut and washer on the back of the control handle.  I had to pull the cables back out of the grommet (no easy task) and put the lock washer and nut on the cables, and then back through the grommet.  Of course all of this unseated the grommet in the firewall and I had a difficult time getting it back into the hole with all of the cables going through it.  After a lot of pushing and pulling I finally got it in place.  Also, though it does not show in the photo, the extra 5 amp fuse I ordered arrived and I have installed the missing fuse for the fuel pump in the fuse block. 
With the cables through the firewall I installed the cushioned clamps to the engine mount to secure the cables in place.   Next I began routing and connecting the cables to the carburetors.  I routed the choke cables to each carburetor and then seated them in the tubes. I then separated the throttle control cables and routed them to each carburetor.  I removed the threaded connections that came on the carburetors and using the lock nuts and washers installed the cables.  I threaded the throttle control cables through the CT-00101 stop nuts however I discovered that I would not be able to tighten the set screw in the stop nuts with the tools I have.  I had to go an purchase a T5 mini-Torx tool to do that.
I installed the cables with the appropriate locking nuts and washers and tightened the set screws.  I cut-off the excess cable lengths and applied ¼” long piece of white shrink tubing to the ends.  The engine controls are now installed.
I decided to start re-installing the prop and spinner.  I was able to install the spinner back plate and the propeller hub base mount to the flange.  I torqued the bolts in place.  I had to quit for the day so I will finish the prop re-install tomorrow.