Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cooling System Nearing Completion

This afternoon I removed the cowling.  I inspected the fiberglass and it all looks good to me.  The connection of the duct to the inside of the lower cowl looks fine.  The layers of glass on top of the intake oval opening and inside of the cooling duct transition look good.
I mixed a small bath of epoxy resin and flox.  I removed the clecoes and filled the holes with the resin flox mixture.  I also filled the open at the topof the air intake oval.  I filled the holes in the bottom of the lower cowling where it attaches to the lower fuselage.  I am going to put a layer of fiberglass on the inside of these attachment points and then redrill the holes.  I also filled 2-ea of the holes in the bottom of the cowling where it attaches to the cowl bottom close out.  I will redrill these holes when the resin flox mixture is set.
The last thing I did today was install the compression seal around the cooling duct transition.  I sanded the outer edge of the transition and then cleaned it off with MEK.  I brought a tube of clear silicone sealant from my shop at home.  I cut the compression seal pieces to length.  I also cut some pieces of scrap wood strips to length so I could us them to clamp the seal to the transition.  I applied the silicone to the tab on the compression seal and then attached them to the perimeter of the transition duct.  I used ‘C’ clamps and Vise Grip clamps to hold the compression seal in place while the silicone caulk sets up.  I also cut a small strip of aluminum to support and hold the compression seal as it went around the rounded corner of the transition duct.  I will leave it this way until I return to the hangar tomorrow afternoon.