Friday, October 11, 2013

Oil Cooler and Muffler Proximity

The misc. parts I ordered from Van's came today.  One of the items ordered was a castle nut.  I went to the hangar and installed the castle nut and a cotter pin on the cooler door assembly.  That part of the build is now complete.  I then turned my attention to the narrow distance between the muffler and the oil cooler.  From all I have read in the VAF RV-12 forum it indicates that if the distance between the oil cooler and the muffler is less than 1" there will most likely be high oil temperatures during the summer months.  Since we are planning to move to Kanab, UT in a year or two from now, it seems prudent that I would do something now about the arrangement of the oil cooler and the muffler.  I marked the outline of the oil cooler on the cowl duct.  Then I marked where to cut the duct so I can move the cooler mount ½" forward.  I then used my Dremel tool to cut that section out of the duct.  I am now committed to making the change to the duct.  I have cut out and removed ½" from the forward section of duct.  I have mounted the duct and the cut out piece to the lower cowling.  I need to leave so I will think about how I am going to make this change permanent.   I will need to do a little more modifying the parts so they fit better.  Then I am going to need to go to a supplier and purchase some more fiberglass epoxy.  I have plenty of fiberglass cloth and peal-ply to make the modification and install the duct to the lower cowling.  With the oil cooler mounting face reinstalled on the cowling duct the distance between the cooler and the muffler will be 1"+.