Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cooling Duct and Cowling

Today I made significant progress towards completing the cooling duct and cowling.  I removed the clamps from the transition seal.  It is securely attached to the duct transition.  I sanded all of the areas filled with the resin-flox mixture.  Reinstalled the cowling and determined where I need to re-drill attachment holes.  Removed the lower cowling closeout and attached it to the cowling and drilled out the holes filled with the resin-flox mixture yesterday.
I also sanded the front  of the upper cowling.  The prop spinner back plate is just too close to the upper cowling. After reinstalling the upper and lower cowling halves I decided I need to shave 1/16th of an inch off of the back lip of the spinner back plate.  Accordingly I removed the spinner and prop once again.
In addition of removing the prop  I also used epoxy resin to attach the duct seal label to the cooling duct.
Yesterday I filled a section of the upper cowling right aft lower corner with some of the resin-flox mixture.  It worked really well so I decided to fill a little bit more of the aft edge of the upper cowling.  Tomorrow I will sand it off and check again for the fit.  I am also going to make a jig that I can attach to the drill press to sand down the aft lip of the spinner back plate.