Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Cooling Duct Modification and Empennage

This afternoon I continued to work on the cooling duct modification.  I trimmed the fiberglass from yesterday's lay-up.  I purchased some more resin and hardener.  We have West Marine store in Midvale so I was able to purchase some West Systems 105 Resin and 205 Hardener.  I used the last of my previous supplies to do today's lay-up.  I cut strips of fiberglass cloth and mixed some resin.  I wetted out the cloth between pieces of plastic and put on a second layer.  I will take the duct home tonight so it can cure in a warmer place than the hangar.
After setting the cooling duct aside I proceeded to complete the installation of  the empennage.  I  installed the vertical stab before moving the airplane to the hangar.  I few weeks ago I installed the rudder and attached the rudder cables.  This afternoon I pulled the wing rack out and removed the stabilator.  
I inserted the counter weight into the rear of the fuselage.  I then slid the stabilator onto the counter weight.  Luckily I had marked the shaft of the counter weight so I knew which side was up.  I inserted the bolts and tightened them with the torque wrench.
I had to go to Lowe's and purchase some super glue so I could attach the washers to the stabilator brackets.  I glued the washers in place and then slid the hinge brackets over the pivot attachments.  I used wooden dowels to hold the stabilator in place while I inserted the bolts.  I installed the nuts and cotter pins.  The stabilator is now in place.  I safety wired the Anti Servo Tab hinge pins to the stabilator.  
I then installed the servo tray and push rod assembly.  I bolted the tray to the rear of the fuselage and the push rod to the Anti Servo Tabs.
Finally I attached the stabilator cables to the control horn on the stabilator.
And with that attachment complete, the empennage is now installed.