Thursday, October 24, 2013

Spinner, Spinner Back Plate and Cowling

This afternoon I worked on the cowling and the spinner and spinner back plate.  I sanded down  the fill material I put on the right lower rear edge of the upper cowling.  I worked reasonably well, but I discovered I need to add additional resin-flox mixture to build up that edge of the cowling.  I mixed another small batch of resin and mixed in some flox.  I applied it to the right rear lower edge of the upper cowling.  I will sand it off tomorrow after it cures.
I cut a piece of ½" MDF 11" square.  I used some spray glue and adhered some 80 grit sand paper to the surface.  I bolted a 6" square piece of ½" MDF to the spinner back plate.  I put a 5/16" bolt through the center and put it in the drill press chuck.  It does not fit.  The edge of the spinner back plate touches the vertical post of the drill press.  That whole idea was over in a heartbeat.  I then thought I would try sanding the spinner back plate by rubbing it over the 80 grit sand paper.  I discovered it worked.  It took about 20 minutes of work, but I was able to sand almost 1/16" off of the rear of the back plate lip.  I attached the spinner and using the sand paper I sanded off the fiberglass spinner to match the back plate.  I deburred the edge of the spinner back plate on the Scotch Brite wheel.
After my success with the spinner and spinner back plate I decided to start installing the reflective heat shield inside of the lower cowling.  I used some flimsy to make patterns of the size and shape mneeded to cut out the heat shield material.

I will work on the heat shield again tomorrow.