Monday, October 14, 2013

Cowl Duct Modification

This afternoon I continued to work on the placement and attachment of the oil cooler mounting section to the cooling duct.  I moved the piece a fraction of an inch to the left and drilled and installed a new clecoe.  I determined if I cut out a bit more of the upper duct the transition between the pieces would be better.  I used the Dremel tool to make the cutout. 
I used the angle grinder and a sanding disk and sanded the area all around the cut where I will install fiberglass.  I mixed a batch of epoxy resin and cut some fiberglass cloth.  I saturated the pieces of fiberglass between 2-pieces of plastic.  I  applied them to the perimeter of the cutout and the cooler duct.  I brushed on a layer of resin and will let it set until tomorrow.  I plan to retrim the opening and then remove the duct and apply 2-layers of fiberglass on the inside.  Of course I will sand the contact area before doing so.  I also plan to mix some epoxy with flox and fill the inside voids before applying the cloth.  I need to make sure the new duct is structurally sound before installing it on the cowling.