Monday, October 21, 2013

Attach Cooling Duct to Lower Cowl


This afternoon I attached the cooling duct to the lower cowl.  First, I sanded the Bondo I put on the inside of the duct last week.  I mixed a new batch and spread it over the remaining voids.  I then got out the fiberglass, resin, mixing cups and sticks, plastic sheeting, etc. to begin the attachment.  I also drilled the weep holes, one below the oil cooler and one in the bottom of the duct transition at the radiator.
I cut strips of fiberglass cloth and mixed a batch of resin.  I brushed resin along the attachment  surfaces on the cooling duct and the cowl.  I mixed some flox into the resin and put the resin flox mixture into a small plastic bag.  I cut of the corner of the bag and put a bead of the mixture all along the cooling duct attachment flange.  I then attached the cooling duct to the lower cowl with clecoes.  At this point I had resin on my gloved hands and I did not want to touch the camera, so the next processes were not photographed.  I will photograph the cooling duct attached to the lower cowl in the next couple of days when I remove the cowl.
I saturated strips of fiberglass cloth and laid up 2-layers of cloth inside of the cooling duct transition and along to the top of the oval air intake.  I also used my gloved finger and a mixing stick to make sure the resin flox mixture completely filled any void between the cooling duct and the lower cowl where they attached.  After the fiberglass was installed and smoothed I installed the lower and upper cowl halves on the fuselage.
After the fiberglass has cured I will remove the clecoes and fill the holes with new flox resin mixture.  I also need to smooth out the top of the oval air inlet where the cooling duct and lower cowl come together.