Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Roll Bar Assembly Continues

 
This morning I clecoed (chrome clecoes) the interior connection straps to the forward half of the roll bar.  I then drilled the #40 holes to #30 in preparation for riveting the sections together.  After drilling out the #40 holes I inserted  #30 (copper) clecoes, removed the chrome clecoes and continued to final drill all of the holes in the forward half of the roll bar.
 
I removed the clecoes and deburred the forward roll bar halves and the interior connection straps.  Next I clecoed the straps to the forward and rear roll bar halves.  I then final drilled the #40 holes to #30 holes in the rear half of the roll bar and the interior connection straps.
 
I drilled a #12 hole in the bottom of the roll bar connection strap near the slice area for the cockpit eyeball light wires.  I then removed all of the clecoes and disassembled the roll bar so I can deburr all of the final drilled and newly drilled holes
 
This afternoon I used the #30 countersink to prep the holes on the exterior edge of the roll bar assembly halves for the flush rivets that connect the exterior surfaces together.  This is necessary because the rear canopy will be attached to the surface of the roll bar.  I riveted the aft splice plate and canopy latch to the right rear roll bar section.  I also riveted the cockpit light bracket and the spice plate to the right forward roll bar section.
 
I also riveted the inner strap to the inside of the right forward roll bar section.  I then used some black RTV to attach the ¼" plastic tube used for a wiring conduit to the inside of the inside connection strap.  I used popsicle sticks and tape to hold the tube in place.  I pulled the wires for the cockpit light through the tube.