Friday, November 12, 2010

Drill Longerons

This morning I checked the edge of the opening of the left wing spar.  By using a ¾"x¾" angle I discovered that the edge of the opening of the left skin would not clear the bushings through the wing spar.  Unlike the right side, the left side hole was not at the edge of the sidewall upright.  I removed the left fuselage side skin and cut out an additional 1/8" of material.  I reclecoed the left side skin to the fuselage and it now looks like the right side.
 
After correcting the location of the left wing spar opening I continued to work on the side skins.  I clecoed the skins in place on both sides of the fuselage.  I used small clamps to line up the top edge of the side skins with the apex of the longeron angles.  I also lined up and clamped the longerons to the roll-over structure base plates.
 
At that point I began to match drill the #30 holes in the side skins and roll-over structure base plates into the longerons.  There are about a bazillion holes.  I installed clecoes as I drilled.  This it how it looks.
 
This is how the fuselage looks today.