Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Longerons Continued

This morning I started to work on the longerons.  I made some templates to help establish the correct angle on the ends of the longerons.  I have to open the angle from 90 degrees to 95.4 degrees for the first foot+ of each longeron.  I used a sledge hammer and a scrap of angle to pound the daylights out of the longeron angle.  By smacking it several times along the angle I was able to open the angle to the proper degrees.  I ended up using a protractor to establish the angle because the paper templates seemed to be less accurate.  
As the angle opened the angle also developed a slight bend.  I was able to use a piece of equipment in the shop to straighten out the bend.  I then clamped the longeron in a vise and with a crescent wrench I twisted the angle so that the top of the angle is flat and the side twists out an extra 5.4 degrees.  I used a digital level to make sure the twist was correct and the top of the angle was level.
It took an hour to get both angles (longerons) opened up and straightened out.  They are ready to be bent to a radius to match the canopy decks.
To make the radius bends to the longerons I need to use the work bench mounted vise.  Yesterday in using the shop vise I learned that it cannot be locked in position.  The locking clamps will not tighten up enough to secure the vise base and prevent it from turning.  I will need to have the vise stationary so I can bend the radius into the longerons.  I order to correct this problem I purchased a new 5" vise from Harbor Freight.  As I have always said, you get what you pay for.  This new vise was made in China is pretty cheap (price wise and quality wise) but it should get me through this next section of the build.
 
I removed the old vise and marked the holes for the new vise.  I drilled some ¼" pilot holes but I will need to get a 9/16" bit to drill the final holes to mount the vise.

I also cut, drilled and attached some aluminum angle to the jaws of the new vise to protect the work.