Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fuselage Side Skins

This morning I finished clecoing the left side skin.  
 
I also started to fabricate the filler for the oversized left wing spar slot.  I cut a piece of aluminum scrap to fit behind the right side of the slot.  I drilled attachment holes so I can secure it top and bottom.  The piece of aluminum will tuck into the corner between the skin and the sidewall bulkhead.  I will put some RTV sealant in the corner recess and then slip the backup piece in place.  I riveted the piece of side skin I inadvertently cut out the first time.  I believe with a little Bondo filler around the edges, after the airplane is painted the patch will not be noticed.  Of course I will always know it is there.

 
After working on the left side I turned my attention to the right side skin.  I riveted the side skin in place leaving the areas with blue tape unriveted.  I am ready to rivet the left side skin.