Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wing Storage Rack and Horses


Today I constructed a wing storage rack on casters and some adjustable horses for the construction of the tailcone. The design and construction of the wing storage rack is similar to the EAA version with the exception that my rack is 8'-2" long with a space to insert and store the stabilator.


I constructed a box beam at the bottom of the rack with a 2x4 at the top and bottom sandwiched between 3/8" plywood from the empennage shipping crate. I left a 2" lip of plywood above the top 2x4 to create a slot for the leading edge of the stabilator to rest in. I put carpet slings on the rack and put a strip of carpet in the leading edge slot to protect the leading edge.


I also constructed 2-adjustable horses to be used for the construction of the Tailcone. The top 2x4 can be lowered if need be to make the horses shorter.