Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beginning to Attach Stabilator Skin




Yesterday I emailed Van's support to learn if I should torque the bolts holding the Vert Stab and Stabilator hinge brackets in place, per the torque chart in the drawings. The answer was affirmative. I then used the torque wrench to torque these fasteners.

I drilled the aft hinges per the drawings, marking them left and right and putting masking tape in the appropriate locations. I clecoed them to the right stabilator skin and final drilled the holes required.

I then removed the blue vinyl film from the stabilator skins and marked them left and right.

I then began to cleco the skin to the bottom of the stabilator skeleton assembly. Scott Smith came out during lunch and gave me a hand. After the bottom skin was clecoed in place I turned the assembly over and began to cleco the top skin.