Monday, March 22, 2010

Stabilator Skeleton Emerges





Good news! The stabilator control horns have arrived. They were delivered to my house Friday afternoon. The build will now continue.

I clecoed the control horns to the spar box assembly. I have marked the spar box assembly to identify the various components. I marked the top and placed a forward arrow showing the front. I final drilled the #12 holes and then installed an AN3 bolt into the newly drilled holes. I then removed the horns and deburred all of the holes.

Next I clecoed the HS-1224 doublers to the HS-1202 spar and final drilled the #12 holes. I removed the doublers and using a K-1000-3 platenut and an AN3 bolt, I installed the platenut, drilled the first hole, clecoed then drilled the final hole for the control horn attachment points in the forward and aft spars. After drilling the holes, I used the countersink to prep for the attachment of the platenuts.

Next I clecoed the platenuts to the control horn attachment holes and clecoed the doublers and platenuts into place. I then riveted the platenuts to the spars with the appropriate rivets. I then riveted the doublers and platenuts in place using the appropriate rivets. Next I riveted the WD-1222 counterbalance brackets to the front and rear spars using the rivets called out in the drawings.

I then reassembled the spar box assembly and installed the flat head pulled rivets in the top and bottom edges as called for on the drawings. I next riveted the inboard inspar ribs to the forward and aft spars.

The final step today was to cleco and then rivet the HS-1214 rib clips to the aft spar of the spar box assembly and rivet the stabilator ribs to the spar box assembly. I used the rivet wedges to install the rivets next to the vertical leg of the rib clips. I then riveted the ribs in place per the instructions on the drawings.

I have now constructed the Stabilator Skeleton Assembly.