Friday, May 30, 2014

Remove and Reinstall Fuel Tank and Calibrate Fuel Gauge

I returned from Idaho as planned on Wednesday evening.  On Thursday Arlene and I went to the airport and spent 2-hours removing and reinstalling the fuel tank.  There were 4-screws behind the tank into the baggage bulkhead that could not be installed with the tank in place.  I removed the inspection plates from the bottom of the fuselage and disconnected the fuel supply and return lines.  I removed the carpet over the tank and removed the bolts.  There is no way to remove the tank without first removing the filler tube.  I pulled the screws holding the filler tube in place and using a knife, cut the Pro-Seal between the filler tube flange and the turtle deck skin.  Before doing so I put some blue masking tape over the tank filler opening.  After removing the filler tube the tank came out (with a little jostling and effort).  I installed the 4-missing screws into the bulkhead panel and then reinstalled the tank.  I mixed some new Pro-Seal and reinstalled the filler tube.  At that point we needed to leave.  I returned today and made the final connections to the tank and reinstalled the inspection plates under the fuselage.  I reinstalled the carpet and seats.
I moved the airplane out onto the ramp and put it on 2” blocks.  I turned on the SkyView and went into the set-up menu to calibrate the fuel gauge.  I have 2-five gallon gas cans which I had filled on the way to the airport.  I put the fuel in the tank 2-gallons at a time until all 10-gallons were added.  I then pushed the airplane back into the hanger, hooked up the battery charger so I could leave the SkyView on and went for more gas.  I returned, put the airplane back on the ramp, on blocks and continued to calibrate the fuel gauge by adding the rest of the fuel 2-gallons at a time.  I have made arrangements for my 2-grandsons, Cameron and Kaleb to help me move the airplane to the Tooele airport on Monday.  Before we move it to Tooele I am going to have them help me adjust the idle speed on Rotax.  The PAP says it should idle between 1450-1500 RPMs.  Currently the Rotax idles at about 1100 RPMs.  I need to fix that then we will remove the wings and take the fuselage to Tooele.  We will return for the wings and then reassemble everything there.  I am planning to take a small tool bag with tools with us so we can do the reassembly without any problems.
I also constructed some ramps to help move the airplane over the door track and up over the lip of the hangar floor slab.  They worked out really well.  Even with a full load of fuel using the ramps I was able to push the airplane back into the hangar without too much effort.