Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Install Wings and Weigh Airplane

Today I went to the hangar and started putting things inside so I can do the weight and balance.  I put the seat supports and seat cushions in place.  I also put the upholstery in place in the airplane.  I put the RV-12 on the nose.  I think it looks good.  I also attached the final checklist and flight information placards I received from John Albury on the panel.
This afternoon I  checked the distances on the AST for the full up and full down trim conditions.  With the trim full up and the stick full forward the AST measures 11/16" from the center of the AST trailing edge to the center of the stabilator trailing edge.  In the full trim down with the stick full back the trim to stabilator measurement is ½".  
I also set the take-off trim condition at 1-7/8" up with the stick full back.  The green line on the trim setting on the Skyview is just below the ½ mark.  
It is supposed to be up 1/3 from the bottom.  If I set the green line at 1/3 up from the bottom the distance from the AST trailing edge and the stabilator trailing edge is only 1-5/8"  I will do some investigating  to see what this all means.  I am going to check the length of the AST pushrod and make sure the distance is correct.  If it is not that might be the reason the green line is so far up the scale.  I will remove the tail cone fairing and check the measurement.  
Tim came back to the hangar with me and we installed the wings.  We rolled the airplane outside and took some photos. 
We also rolled the airplane on some ramps and scales to get the weight for the weight and balance calculations. 
I also chalked a line along the leading edge of the wing using a plumb bob to locate the line on the hangar floor. I used  a framing square to locate the center of the axle bolts and measured to the line from the nose wheel and from the main gear.  I can now complete the Weight & Balance Work Sheet for PAP.