Monday, May 5, 2014

Reassembly

Today I checked the FAA website.  I did an N-number search and found they issued my registration dated May 1, 2014.  I emailed the FAA Title Company and re quested the send me a "fly wire" temporary registration so I can proceed to have the DAR certification inspection.  I have not heard anything from them as of this evening.  I spent several hours at the hangar putting the airplane back together.  I also went to Sign*A*Rama and ordered some new N-numbers in a dark red vinyl.  It will not be a perfect match but it should be close enough.  I also ordered a pair of RV-12 letters 2" high to put on the wide red stripe on the lower cowl.  I hope it turns out OK.  I started to assemble the airplane by installing the vertical stab.  I bolted it in place and torque the bolts.  I printed little labels showing the torque values and put them on the forward and rear attachment points for future reference. 
I also installed the trim tab on the rudder.
I installed the rudder and hooked up the rudder control cables.  I then began to install the stabilator.  I propped the stabilator on the backs of the plastic chairs on top of some moving pads.  I sharpened some pieces of ¼" dowels to inset into the bolt holes to hold the stabilator on the tail.  It worked really well.  I removed one of the dowels and installed the bolt.  Then I removed the second dowel and install that bolt. I torqued the bolts and proceeded to install the AST.  
That turned out to be a fairly simple procedure.  The whole thing went together fairly well.  It did take some ingenuity to get all of the control cables attached without loosening them but I did it.
I even put the placards on the AST and the fuel filler above the fuel cap.
I installed the flaperons on the wings.  
I also installed the wing tip lighting.  Tomorrow I will start working on the forward end with the engine cowling, the fuselage upper skin and the canopy.