Friday, May 23, 2014

Getting Ready For First Flight Continues

Today I continued to put things together.  I installed the upholstery and carpets in the cockpit.  I installed the seats and put the cowlings in place.  Glenn and Loretta Olsen came by for a look.  They said they liked what they saw.  I asked Glenn if he thought I could or should do the first flight.  He said absolutely, so I guess I will fly it for the first time next week end.
I worked on the gascolator once again.  I could not remove a screw yesterday because of a bolt coming through the firewall just below one of the gascolator bowl retaining screws. I tried bending a hacksaw blade to get to the bolt without much luck.  I tired cutting down the width of a hacksaw blade so I get it to go through one of the holes in the nose strut brackets.  No luck there either.  After sitting on my work stool and looking at the problem I decided if I removed the clamp holding the radiator hose to the nose strut I could get a Dremmel tool with a cutting blade in there and remove the end of the bolt.  Accordingly I did just that.  I brought over my fire extinguisher just in case.  It took just seconds to cut off the end of the bolt with the Dremmel tool.  I removed the screws holding the gascolator bowl retainer and removed it.  My next problem was how to remove the gascolator bowl.  I recalled a post by Tony Testitorie on a gascoltor bowl removal tool.  It consisted of a pipe, a tee and 2-nipples.  I went to Lowe’s to see if I could come up with the parts to make a similar tool.  All I could find were some small brass fittings and nipples.  I purchased the parts I needed and made a gascolator bowl removal tool.  I really works wells.  I was able to remove and reinstall the bowl with little effort. There was no debris in the bowl and just a few fibers on the screen.  I put it all back together and we are good to go.  

I installed the lower cowl including all of the screws.  I set the upper cowl in place for now.  I still need to check the idle RPMs.  I think the idle is a little low so I will need to adjust the idle speed before I put the upper cowl on for good.  I rolled the airplane outside, closed the hangar doors and took some photos.  I am going to Idaho Monday morning and will not be back until Wednesday evening.  I am hoping to move the airplane to Tooele next Friday.