Thursday, May 22, 2014

Balance Carburetors

This morning I took Arlene and Tim to the hangar with me.  We had a short window for them to help run the engine and adjust the carburetors.  I hooked up the CarbMate and we pulled the airplane out onto the apron.  I zeroed the CarbMate and checked to see where the lights were.  I had Arlene and Tim sit inside while I started the engine.  We ran the RPMs up to 2400 and it didn’t take too long for the engine to warm up to 122o .  I turned the dial on the CM to 2 and the lights came on to the right of center.  I manually pulled the throttle to see what way to adjust the linkage.  I shut off the engine and made the adjustment.  I restarted the engine and the light was green.  I turned the knob to 1.5 and it stayed green.  I turned the knob to 1.0 and it stayed green.  I turned the knob to 0.5 and one light right of center came on.  I adjusted the linkage and the light went to green.  The carburetors are now balanced.  We shut down the engine and I got in.  I restarted the Rotax and ran the RPMs up to 4,000.  I checked the ignition as required in the PAP.  It is acceptable.  I advanced the throttle to WOT.  The indicated RPMs was at 4,895.  That is acceptable per the PAP.  We now have a Rotax engine with balanced carburetors turning at an acceptable RPM so I would say we are good to go.  I do need to complete the other things listed under the Engine Run section of the PAP before it can fly.