Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Red Letter Day!

Today Tom Gierhart – DAR – issued my airworthiness certificate.  I now own an airplane.  Tom and I spent 1 ½ hours together this morning at the hangar.  He checked all of the paperwork, took pictures of the paperwork and the airplane.  Using his inspections mirror and flashlight he looked into all of the nooks and crannies.  He concluded by telling me I have done a great job with my build.  He said he wishes he had an airplane as nice as the RV-12.  Of course there was a bit of disassembly for the inspections so I will need to put it all back together again.
Following the inspection I had to hurry home.  Yesterday Comcast buried a neighbor’s cable in my back yard.  The Comcast splice box is located in my back yard.  In burying the cable they nicked my CenturyLink telephone line.  Over the last 24 hours my phones and internet have become useless.  The CenturyLink technician laid a new phone line on top of the ground and hooked us up again.  In the next couple of weeks they are supposed to come back and bury it.  You have got to love the utility companies. 
I returned to the hangar this afternoon and began installing a canopy lock.  I will be taking the RV-12 to KTVY (Tooele) for the first flight and flight program.  Because it will be tied down outside I do not want people to be able to open it at will.  I went back to Jon’s Lock where I purchased the cam lock and bought a longer cam arm.  I cut a slot in the deck rail.  The arm comes through the slot and I will notch it to engage a small angle I will rivet to the canopy rail.  I am planning on installing a back-up plate to reinforce the fuselage skin.  I know it will only keep honest people out.  If someone wants to get into the cockpit they will find a way no matter what.