Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Canopy Seal, Wing Walk, CarbMate

I worked on a some different things at the hangar today.  I made several trips to Lowe's, the copy shop and other supply places.  I went to Lowe's and EVCO House of Hose to get some fittings to hook-up the CarbMate to balance the carburetors.   At Lowe's I was able to purchase some barbed fittings that go into the rubber hose which attaches to the CarbMate and which also fit into the rubber hose on the balance tube.  At EVCO House of Hose I purchased a barbed coupler for the 2-3' sections of rubber hose that came with the CarbMate plus a 6' piece of hose so I now have 2-6' pieces of hose hooked to the CarbMate.  Now I can easily put it in the cockpit when I adjust the carburetors. I disconnected the balance tube and installed the 1/2" hose on the elbow coming out of the intake manifold.  I also have a clamp to hold the fitting in the rubber side of the balance tube setup.  After checking to make sure everything fits properly I reattached the balance to so I can do my first engine run in a day or two.  
I finished the canopy seal kit by tightening the fasteners holding the rear canopy seal in place.  I then installed the 2-side pieces of seal just forward of the instrument panel.  I used Pliobond to glue these pieces of foam seal in place.  I cut them and trimmed them but I am not going to lower the canopy for a couple of days to let the adhesive cure.  
I put a  second coat of wing walk compound on the wings and steps.  I think the 2nd coat looks a lot better.  I think one more coat should complete the project.  I will get that coat on tomorrow.
Tom Gierhart and I have set a day and time for the inspection.  It will be Tuesday, May 20th at 10:00 am.  I also told Tom the FAA issued my registration with my name spelled Allen instead of Allan.  He called the FAA Registration office and they said it needs to be corrected.  They faxed a "fly wire", or 30 day temporary registration which must remain in the airplane until the office registration arrives.  I know the spelling mistake was a clerical error because I filled out the form and I think I know how to spell my name correctly.  I emailed John Albury about my trim setting.  I confirmed that it is correct at 1-7/8".