Friday, May 16, 2014

Touch Up Paint and Wing Seal

Last evening Dave left me a small bottle of clear coat to go over the red paint.  I touched up several spots today.  One on the spinner, one on the fuselage near the fuel cap, the tops of the air vents and a few other small places.  Along with these areas I also put clear coat on the canopy forward arms.  I touched up a couple of small white spots also.  Then I tackled the wing seal.  I set up my metal saw horses and put moving pads over them.  I pulled the spar pins and pulled the wings out one by one.  It was not to difficult.  I had previously marked the wing roots where the skins needed to be cut back to allow for the foam wings seals. I used my left and right snips to cut the wing root skins back to the lines I made yesterday.  The cut edge of the wing root skin came out just fine.  I deburred the edges and then put the wing seal on the fuselage on the left side and pushed the wing back in place.  I did the same on the right side.
The tube plugs I ordered came and I inserted one on each end of the step tubes.  These plugs look good and finish of the tubes very nicely.  The next engine run will have to wait until next week.