Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Getting Ready For First Flight

Today I did a lot of things to get ready for the first flight at KTVY.  I started by cutting a notch in the lock arm and installing the angle on the canopy rail.  I also took the reinforcing plate that came with the lock and modified it to work on the RV-12.  I cut the ears off the plate so it could work as a backing plate and reinforcement for the fuselage skin.  I took the angle home last night and primed it and painted it.  It is now installed and the lock is complete.  After completing the lock I ground down the edges of the end of a Boing can opener I got during the EAA Chapter 23 visit to the EAA facility in Salt Lake.  With the corners ground down and or coped I can now use it to open the fuel tank cap.
I installed the tail cone and the vertical stab fairings.  I had to replace one of the nut plates for the vertical stab fairing, but it all worked out for the best.  I also had to trim the stab trim on the left side of the tail cone.  I don’t know why there was a problem this time but there was.
While working on the empennage I decided to install the stabilator tips.  I clecoed and riveted the mounting plates to the ends of the stabilator.  By squeezing the timmerman nuts I was able to get them to stay in place while I put the tips in place.  It took a little work but I was able to get the tips on and I think they add a lot to the appearance of the airplane.  
Next I installed the lower engine cowl.  Each time I remove and reinstall the cowling it becomes a little bit easier.  Or at least I find some tricks that make it go on a little quicker.  I also reinstalled the spinner.
I decided to install all of the interior inspection plates.  That took quite a while.  There must be a bazillion screws holding the plate in.  
Before installing the rear baggage area bulk-head I decided to put some rigid foam fillers in the corrugations.  I cut them out of some rigid foam that fell out the hangar upper walls.
I attached the gap fillers with some clear silicone sealant.  
Next I installed the Kroger shade on the inside of the canopy.  
The last thing I did today was some more touch up.  I touched up the tan color in several places along with some more white and some more red.  It is looking better every day.