Friday, May 9, 2014

Trim Setting, Canopy Seal, N-Number, PAP

Today I worked on the trim settings again.  I calibrated the trim setting again.  If I set the AST trailing edge at 1-7/8" above the stabilator trailing edge in the full-up position the green line on the trim tab readout is at the half-way point.
If I set the green line on the trim tab readout at a point 1/3 from the bottom the distance between the AST trailing edge and the stabilator trailing edge is 2-1/8".  I decided to work on the PAP.  I discovered that when the  stabilator trailing edge is full-up and the trim is set at full nose-up the distance between the AST trailing edge and the stabilator trailing edge is ¾" (normal distance: 9/16").  When the  stabilator trailing edge is full-down and the trim is set at full nose-down the distance between the AST trailing edge and the stabilator trailing edge is ½" (normal distance: 3/8").  I am going to try adjusting the AST pushrod so the distances are normal.  I will then recheck the trim setting and see where the green line is located with the 1-7/8" distance set on the AST/stabilator.  The PAP is complete with the exception of the engine and fuel.  I still need to put fuel in the tank and run the engine.  Hopefully I will be able to do both next week.  I am also hoping to have my certification inspection next week.  Tom Gierhart, the DAR is in Colorado this week.  He is planning to be back next week.  
I continued to work on the canopy seal.  I installed the seal on the side rails and on the forward portion of the canopy.  I will need to install the canopy to go any further.  I cannot install it until Dave has painted the ends of the canopy arms red.
I also marked the location of the wing seals on the fuselage with a blue marker.  I also looked at the instruction for installing the wing walk surfaces.  I decided to paint on some wing walk compound I purchased from Aircraft Spruce.  I will wait for the weather to moderate a little before I do so.  
I also installed the N-number on the vertical stab.  It looks like a real airplane.