Monday, May 12, 2014

Stabilator/AST Takeoff Setting, White Paint, Canopy install, Wing Walk Compound

Today I did several things.  I was at the hangar several times.  I started the day by adjusting the AST pushrod so the measurements between the AST and stabilator trailing edges are what they are supposed to be.  Now the takeoff trim setting is below the center line of the trim setting bar, but not at the bottom 3rd of the graph as others have theirs set.  I am going to send a picture of the measurement and the graph to John Albury and see what he thinks.
Dave finished touching up the red and white paint on Saturday.  It looks good and I am pleased with his work.  The scuffs that I did and the couple on the wings I think occurred during transit are gone.  The canopy arms are painted and the canopy is installed one again.  I still need to put the last couple of seal pieces behind the canopy arms and tighten the screws and nuts on the rear seal, but I can do that tomorrow.
I worked on a one page checklist.  I used the checklist I received from John Albury and printed saved a new checklist.  I will have it laminated and then it can go in the side pocket in the cockpit.  
I decided this afternoon to start putting the wing walk compound on the wings and the steps.  I masked the wing area.  I used the wing walk material from Vans to get an idea of what area it should cover.  I used masking tape to lay it out.  I also taped off an area on each step for the compound.  The material I am using is some wing walk compound I purchased from Aircraft Spruce.  My understanding is it will hold up a lot better than the vinyl wing walk covering.  I shook the can of compound for a while then opened it up.  The stuff is really gritty.  Of course it is supposed to be.  I used a brush to apply the first layer.  It covered fairly well, but there are brush marks with the white showing through.  I am going to get a small roller and tray to put on the next several coats.
Though you can't see it in the painted picture, I rounded the corners of the wing walk area.  I also rounded the top of the compound on the step.  I hope this all turns out OK.  This afternoon I ordered some tubing plugs for the ends of the step tubes.  They should be here in a few days.  I also went by the Trophy Case to pick-up my data plate.  It is supposed to be on the airplane before the inspection.  They told me they would have it finished today.  When I was there they had not even started it and I was told the person who will do the engraving will not be in until tomorrow.  It is too bad when you must rely on other people.