Monday, June 2, 2014

Move Airplane to Tooele Airport for First Flight

Today I used my grandsons, Cameron and Kaleb to help me move the airplane to the Tooele airport for the first flight.  When we arrived at the airport we saw the Memphis Bell take-off and head east.  The Memphis Bell has been at South Valley Regional all weekend giving rides and tours.  It was fun to see it flying overhead yesterday.  Before moving the airplane I started the engine and increased the idle speed from 1100 RPMs to about 1500 RPMs.  I had the boys sit in the cockpit while I adjusted the carb. 
We then removed the wings and loaded the fuselage on the trailer.  John McDonald, the CFI who helped me with my private license and is in a hangar down the way from me stopped by.  He said, “you are getting pretty good at removing the wings.”  I answered, “yes I am.” 
After leaving the fuselage at the Tooele Airport we returned to South Valley Regional for the wings. It was a long trip back to Tooele, but we finally got there and installed the wings. While we were there Tom Driscoll flew in.  He came to see how we were doing.  It was a little windy, but Tom made a few touch and goes while he was waiting for us to arrive on the scene.  He has a sweet airplane.
We tied the airplane down and I locked the canopy and off we went.  I am planning to go out tomorrow and do the taxi testing and wait for low or calm winds for the first flight.