Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fuel Tank

 
This evening I started work on the fuel tank.  I spent some considerable time rounding up the parts for the tank assembly.  They were scattered about in the shop and out in the garage.  I located everything and began working on prepping the parts for assembly.  I started by countersinking the holes in the T-407 attachment ring.  I also used a Scotch Brite pad to prep the ring and the front wall of the fuel tank.
 
I then clecoed the front wall of the tank, the attachment ring and the required nutplates together.  I used the rivet squeezer to set the rivets in the holes.  It is good to be building again.
 
Next I deburred and prepped the fuel flange which will be attached to the bottom of the tank.  I also prepped the forward tank mounting bracket.  I countersunk the rivet holes in the ends of the mounting bracket for the nutplate rivets.  I then used the #30 countersink to prep the row of holes at the lower edge of the forward tank mounting bracket.  I riveted the nutplates to the ends of the bracket and deburred all of the edges.  I then stripped the blue vinyl film from the main tank part which includes the bottom and 2-sides all in one.  I prepped the mounting surfaces of the main tank part with a Scotch Brite pad.
 
 
After setting up the small work tables in the garage I put the parts on the tables.  I clecoed the parts together to be sure everything fits properly.  I am now ready to start mixing the Pro-Seal and rivet the parts together.  
 
After reading ahead I pulled out the tank baffles.  They will be attached to the bottom and front wall of the tank.  I then took everything apart and set the pieces aside.  I will start the tank assembly tomorrow evening.