Thursday, September 15, 2011

Canopy and Roll Servo Installation

 
This evening I started by trimming the canopy guide blocks to clear the nuts on the inside of the canopy at the end of the canopy skit.  I used my Dremel tool with a course sanding drum to remove the corners of the guide blocks.  The problem was in trying to lift he canopy from one side, the nut caught on the guide block on the opposite side and the canopy would not lift up.  With the corners trimmed the canopy now opens and closes without any interference.
I also completed the installation of the canopy latch.  I had to squeeze the latch tube because the latch handle kept turning when the canopy was lowered and would lock the canopy closed.  The latch and latch blocks have all been installed.  

 
After working on the canopy latch and the canopy guide blocks I turned my attention to the installation of the roll servo.  The servos are difficult to reach.  The pitch servo is located under the pilot seat and below the roll servo is located below the floor level in the tail cone.  Both locations are difficult to reach when standing on the floor.  The roll servo located in the tailcone is almost impossible to get to.  To make things a bit easier I decided to roll the fuselage onto its side once more. I set up the saw horses next to the work table and put moving pads over them.  I placed a short table next to the canopy area and proceeded to install the servo and pushrod. 
 
I bolted the pushrod to the servo arm and bolted the servo in place on the brackets behind the baggage floor.  Next I had to unbolt the flaperon pushrods and reinstall the right bolt with the head on the inside of the connection.  I had to use a longer bolt to reassemble the left pushrod and attach the servo pushrod to the flaperon actuator.  I was able to get all of the bolts and appropriate washers installed and the nuts tightened.  Now to move on to the wiring connections.

 
I put the spade connectors together and indicated in the previous instructions, leaving the wires unconnected as instructed by Vans.  Then I tie wired the connections to the servo body.