Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fuel Tank Assembly Continues

 
This afternoon I continued with the assembly of the fuel tank.  I set up the work tables on the driveway and organized the tools, parts and supplies to continue work on the tank.  I started by using the Dremel tool with a cut-off blade to cut off the stems of the blind rivets that did not break off properly.  The Dremel tool made quick work of the project.
 
I then mixed about 1.5 oz of Pro-Seal.  Using the digital scale it is pretty easy to get the proportions correct.  After mixing the sealant I spread a thin layer on the side and bottom edges of the rear tank skin.  I used clecoes to hold the top corners of the rear tank skin in place.  I then installed rivets along the bottom and then the edges of the rear of the tank.
 
After riveting the bottom and sides of the rear tank skin I spread a thin layer of sealant on the aft tank mounting bracket and clecoed it in place.  I used the specified blind rivets to attach the lower portion of the mounting bracket.  I then put sealant over the holes and installed the 7-each aluminum rivets in the top of the aft mounting bracket.  I used the rivet squeezer to set the aluminum rivets.  Of course with the sealant it got pretty much all over the place.  After squeezing the rivets I put sealant over the inside of the aluminum rivets and in the aft lower corners of the tank.  I also applied some sealant on the exterior corners seams to make sure they are fuel tight.  I drilled new #30 holes near the top of the 2-baffles and installed new blind rivets with washers as called out in the drawings.  I missed doing this when I installed the baffles.  I think they we be OK now.  
I set the tank upside down on top of the fuselage so the sealant can cure.
 
I went into the shop and prepped the fuel sender attachment ring for installation on the forward end of the tank.  I deburred the edges and countersunk the holes for nutplates.  I then installed the nut plates.
The final assembly today was the  Res Sending Unit float and attachment to the fuel sender attachment ring.  I used the bench vise to bend the float wire to the shape shown on the drawings.  I then  cut off the end, leaving ¾" as shown and snapped the wire in place on the sending unit.  I then used the correct screws to attach the sending unit to the attachment ring.  After the Pro-Seal cures for a couple of days I will attach the ring to the tank and make sure the float on the sending unit is adjusted properly.