Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Canopy Stuff

This evening I did some work on the canopy to get ready to prime the frame.  First, I decided I didn't like the way the canopy guide blocks turned out.  One of the holes in each guide block was not perpendicular (at 90o).  I made 2-new guide blocks out of the phenolic plastic I got from Regional Supply.  They turned out much better.  
 
I made the canopy lift handles from the ¾" x ¾" angle stock that came with this kit.  I cut 2-pieces to length and cut a 45o angle on each one.  I fabricated a left and right handle.  I used the Scotch Brite wheel to round the corners and smooth and deburr the edges.  I drilled the hole near the edges and then clecoed them to the canopy skirts.  I lined them up with a parallel line on the canopy skirts and match drilled the second hole.  They are now ready to be primed.
 
After that I set up the small work tables in the garage and took down the canopy frame.  I used my angle grinder with a sanding disk and deburred the sharp edges of the canopy frame.  I also used a maroon Scotch Brite disk and a gray Scotch Brite disk to polish the edges and prep the frame for primer.  I also used a large maroon pad to prep the forward bow, the rear bow and the attachment arms for primer and finish paint.