Thursday, September 8, 2011

Auto Pilot Servos

 
This evening I worked on the auto pilot servos and control pushrods.  I started by cutting the 5/16" tubing into 2-tubes of the proper length.  I clamped each tube in the vise and using a #3 drill bit I drilled the end of each tube to the proper depth.  I then used my ¼-28 tap to cut threads in the 1" end of each tube.  I blew the chips out of the tubes and cleaned them with MEK.  I assembled the bearings and jam nuts and screwed the bearings into the ends of the rods.
 
 
Afterwards I removed the bearings, buffed and prepped the pushrod tubes and primed them.  I reassembled the bearings and jam nuts so they are ready to be installed in the fuselage.  Next I crimped the male and female electrical connectors to the ends of the wires on each of the 2-servos.  It was a lot of crimping, but everything turned out OK.