Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Canopy and Pitch Servo

 
I used a blue marker to re-mark the cut line on the front of the Plexiglas canopy bubble.  I did not cut off this section of canopy when I was trimming the Plexiglas and now it will not clear the upper fuselage skin when tilting the canopy up.  After marking the Plexiglas I removed the canopy and placed it on the work table.  I used my Dremel tool with a cut off blade to cut off the 1/8" edge.  I used a sanding block with different roughness of sandpaper to finish the cut edge.
After cutting off the edge I cleaned up the mess and was ready to install the canopy back onto the fuselage.  I needed some help so I decided to wait until Arlene came home to give me a hand.  While waiting I wire tied the spade connectors for the pitch servo to the servo body as called for in the drawings.  It was not easy.  I also wire tied the noise filter to the connection bundle so it would not flop around in the compartment.  I asked Vans about the wires "not to be connected" if using a Dynon DEK 180 instrument package.  I was told they don't know if the Dynon Skyview will be the same but was told to leave the wires "not connected, but accessible."  They are.
 
Also while waiting I installed the gas struts for the canopy.  That later turned out to be a mistake because I could not get to the head of the screw with a screwdriver.  Oh well, live and learn.   
 
I also installed the canopy guide blocks on the roll bar.  They were pretty simple to install.  One on eachside of the roll bar.  I used some Loctite to lock the threads in the thin aluminum of the roll bar.
After Arlene got home I had her help me lift the canopy in place.  She helped me get the holes lined up so I could insert the bolts and washers into the pivot points.  That is when I discovered I was not able to tighten the screws and nuts for the gas strut connection to the canopy frame.  I had to remove the pivot bolt one at a time in order to lift the frame far enough to engage a screwdriver into the head of the screws.  I was finally able to get the gas struts attached and closed the canopy.  
 
It fit and then I learned that the nut on the last screw attaching the canopy skirt on each side interferes with the canopy guide blocks.  The drawings seem to indicate this is a possibility.  I will need to remove a corner of the guide blocks to allow the nut to pass without interference.  I have also decided I need to paint the inside of the forward arms on the canopy frame hammertone black because you can see these from inside of the cockpit with the canopy down in place.