Thursday, December 2, 2010

Roll Bar and Baggage Bulkheads Installed

 
This morning I started by dimpling the 16 nutplates to be installed on the baggage bulkheads.  After dimpling the nutplates I clecoed the bulkheads and support channels together and began riveting the nutplates.
 
After these parts were riveted I clecoed the bulkheads in place and began to install the pulled rivets.  All was going well and then I put a rivet in a hole I was supposed to leave open until another step had been completed.  I had to drill out the rivet.
 
I riveted the bulkheads to the baggage floor ribs and the baggage floor.  I also riveted the baggage bulkhead support angles to the right bulkhead.  Everything fits together perfectly.
 
I then clecoed the roll bar brace with its associated parts in place and began to install the pulled rivets.
I installed the cockpit support braces to the roll bar.  The roll bar assembly is now complete.
 
This afternoon I pulled the fuselage table over to the other side of the shop where the tailcone was resting on sawhorses.  Following the instructions I put the bottom skin of the tailcone on the bottom skin of the fuselage.  I then realized I needed to bend the tabs on the top forward edge of the tailcone per the instructions in the manual.  I retrieved the tool used to bend the tabs on the wing tip skins and bent the tabs up to the degrees specified.  I put some clecoes in the bottom skins of the tailcone and fuselage and then raising the aft end of the tailcone I brought the two sections together.  It is amazing how well things line up.  I had to use an awl to align one hole on each side of the splice, but after that all of the holes lined up perfectly.  What an amazing piece of engineering and technology.  The tailcone and fuselage are now clecoed together as one.