Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fuel Return Lines

 
This morning I safety wired the gascolator.  I was supposed to do that before mounting it to the firewall, but I installed it first so I safety wired it in place.  I'm sure it would have been easier to do before it was mounted to the firewall.
Next I cut a piece of ¼" tubing to length and installed the nuts and sleeves and flared one end.  I used the tubing bender to put the bends in and formed it to fit in place.  It runs from the bulkhead fitting around the fuel pump and up next to the fuel line where it connects to the bottom of the fuel tank.
 
After making sure the fit was correct I cut lengths of rubber tube ¾" long and split them lengthwise.  I warped a section of tubing around the 3/8" and ¼" tubing and secured them in place with a stainless steel pipe clamp.  There are 3-each of these clamps installed supporting the fuel supply and return lines around the fuel pump and up to the tank.
Next I formed the forward fuel return line bay unrolling the proper length of ¼" tubing and installing a nut and sleeve on one end and then flaring the end of the tube.  I then put a elongated 'S' curve in the tube where it descends past the motor mount to bring it into proximity with the firewall.  The line then makes a 90o turn at the fuselage bottom.  It then turns to the aft and runs past the fuel flow sensor and thru the bulkhead snap bushings and lays in the left most recess in the phenolic support blocks and back to the aft bulkhead fitting.  To install the nut and sleeve and flare the end of the tube I had to poke it out of the fuselage bottom access hole.  After flaring the end of the tube I installed it to the aft bulkhead fitting.  The forward fuel return line runs from the bulkhead fitting at the firewall shelf to the mid fuselage bulkhead fitting just forward of the fuel pump.
 
 
I then tightend all of the return fuel line fittings and bulkhead fittings and installed the Adel clamp on the fuel return line and attached it to the firewall.  The fuel system is now ready to be pressure tested.  I brought a piece of ¼" copper tubing from home and will purchase some parts to make a pressure gauge and air fill connection.  I have ordered some additional nuts and sleeves so I can connect the fuel supply and return lines at the fuel tank location and seal of the system at the 90o elbow at the gascolator.  I will attach the gauge and air connection to the standpipe on top of the firewall shelf and then I can run a pressure test to assure there are no leaks in the fuel system.