Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fuel Shut-Off Valve


 
 
This morning I began to work on the fuel shut-off valve.  I removed the blue film and prepped the aluminum parts for priming.  I primed the parts and began to assemble the valve.  First I installed
the red ball on the handle and attached the handle to the valve handle.  I installed the fluid fitting to the rear of the valve body and held the valve body and bracket together while I installed the forward fluid fitting.  I then riveted the valve retainer to the bracket.  The valve is now ready to be installed.

 
Then, by holding my mouth just right and crossing my fingers and with a little blue tape, the law of gravity and some major good luck I was able to get the valve bracket clecoed to the floor of the fuselage.  I then final drilled and installed the rivets.  The fuel shut-off valve is now installed.

This afternoon I began to bend and flare the tubing for the fuel system.  I bent and flared the section from the tank to the fuel pump.  I also started the section from the fuel pump to the shut-off valve.
 
 
I installed the section from the tank to the fuel pump.  I pushed the fuel line through the snap bushings and aligned it to connect to the shut-off valve. I also installed the fittings to the FT-60 flow sensor and installed it onto its bracket on the bottom of the fuselage.   
 
Next I put the fittings on the gascolator and mounted the gascolator to the firewall.
 
I cut, flared and installed the fuel line from the gascolator to the FT-60 flow sensor and from there to the fuel shut-off valve.  I then went back and tightened all of the 3/8" fuel line fittings.  The 3/8" fuel line has now been installed and I will begin working on the ¼" fuel return line tomorrow.