Thursday, May 31, 2012

Section 42C Continues

At work today I painted the mounting plates for the GPS and the ELT antenna.  I primed both plates and then painted the GPS mounting plate gray to match the other painted components mounted to the firewall.  I painted the ELT antenna mounting plate TAN to match the interior of the airplane.  This evening I mounted both plates.  I had to drill out 3-rivets installed in the back brace behind the co-pilot position to mount the ELT antenna plate.  I used my nutplate jig to drill #40 holes for the nutplates.  I also final drilled #19 the rivet holes.  I riveted the nutplates in place and installed the ELT antenna mounting plate.  I then attached the GPS antenna to it's mounting plate.  I had to remove some of the plate material at the edge of the large hole to allow the cable to pass through without being smashed.  I used my handheld nibblers to remove the same amount of material from the antenna shelf previously attached to the firewall.  The antenna attached to the mounting plate and the mounting plate attached to the antenna shelf like they were designed to do so.
I ran the GPS cable through the grommet in the firewall and through the snap bushings and
cushioned clamp on the instrument shelf.  I inserted the pins into the GPS D-sub connector and the installed the inserted the connector into the control module.
The plans indicate installing Switch module and the center instrument panel with flat head screws.  My plan is to install the panels with the black 632 pan head screws I ordered from Fastenal.  After reading some new information I learned that it would be a good idea to install the center panel section with flat head screws because the "THROTTLE", "CHOKE" an "CABIN HEAT" labels will cover the heads of the screws.  Pan head screws in that location will be a problem.  So I decided to counter sink the 6-each screw holes at the bottom of the center panel.  I was concerned that the cutter would rip the carbon fiber vinyl I have already installed on the instrument panels.  I set up the microstop in the drill press and proceeded to countersink the first hole.  I went perfectly.  I then countersunk the remaining 5-holes.  I painted the holes with a black marker so the aluminum won't show after the screw is installed.  I used some flat black paint to paint the heads of 6-flat head screws.  I will be ready to attach the center panel after I have repaired the switch module.  I am waiting for the parts Van's said they put in the mail yesterday.