Tuesday, May 8, 2012

URRRGGGGGHHHH! Wing Wiring

This evening I really had a hard time.  When I installed the lighting option I tried to outsmart myself.  I figured because I installed the lighting option it would not be necessary to put a pull-string in the wing, so I left it out.  Now, to do the upgrade I need to pull in 2-additional wires.  No sweat, I explained to Arlene, I will use one of the existing wires to pull-in a string and then use the string to pull in the existing and new wires.  I pulled the WH-B212 wire with a string attached and all went well.  Then as I tried to pull the wires into the wing, the wires came off of the string.  No pull string and no more wires to pull a new string to the wing tip.
I decided to remove the landing light and see if there was a way to use a wire from the landing light to pull a string to that point and then get it from the landing light to the wing tip.  I cut one of the landing light wires and used it to pull a string into that point in the wing.  I used a piece of safety wire to fish from the landing light to the wing tip.  Success once again.
Then the dreaded happened.  Somehow, and I still don't know how, I managed to pull one of the wing tip wires back into the wing.  I tried and tried but I was unable to fish it back to the wing tip.  I tried to pull a string, re-pull the wire and I continued to have nothing but problems.  At this point, due the problems which continued to multiply I have a pull string in the wing from the root to the tip.  All 3-wires from the root to the tip on laying on top of the wing.  I will try again tomorrow to pull the wires into the wing and this time secure the ends so they cannot be pulled out.