Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Continued Working on Section 42D

This evening I continued to work on making the changes called out in section 42D.  I attached the template to the forward left upper section of the firewall and drilled the 4-holes indicated.   Next I attached the template to the top of the tailcone and drilled the holes for the ADAHRS mounting brackets.
I prepped, primed, installed nutplates and then riveted in the instrument stack support angles and the com support angles to the instrument shelf.  I also drilled the F-1203A and F-1202F bulkheads and installed the snap bushings.  I also drilled and installed the snap bushing in the F-1207D-L bulkhead channel.  I bought a new angle drill because the only way I could drill the hole would be to remove the AP servo.  I was unwilling to do that so I now own an angle drill.
I then prepped and primed the ADAHRS  brackets before installing them in the tailcone.  After priming I clecoed them in place and then riveted them in.  
I then turned my attention to the existing D-sub connectors and the wiring on top of the instrument shelf.  I also decided to remove the AP-74 auto pilot D-sub connector and associated wiring.  I cut off the wires just after the heat shrink on the optional D-sub connector and put a small piece of heat shrink on each wire.  I then put heat shrink over the bundle.  Next I decided to install the AP disconnect switch I left out because I knew I would be changing the center panel with the Sky View update.  It was simple enough to install.  Next I pulled the wires to the Main and Optional D-subs through the snap bushings in the instrument shelf.  What a tangled mess of wires there is below the shelf now.   I will have to get them pulled into the tunnel and then form a large loop and wire tie them together.
I continued to clean-up the wires on the instrument shelf.  I put labels on the Tunnel and Optional D-sub connectors.  I also attached the Xpndr Ant cable extension.  I am ready to continue with the installation of the conversion harnesses.