Friday, June 1, 2012

ADAHARS and ELT Installation

This afternoon I installed the ADAHRS (air data/attitude/heading reference system) and the ELT (emergency locator transmitter) in the fuselage.  First I started the day by putting the black screws and washers in the bottom and sides of the left and right instrument panels.  I will install them in the center section after I received the replacement post for the fuse/switch module Van's mailed to me.  I ordered the black oxide screws and washers from Fastenal.  I think they look good.
I then tackled the ADAHRS.  It is installed in the tailcone.  I left the wire ties around the cables attaching  the ADAHRS cables to the fuselage frame so I could pull the slack out of the them after installing the module.  I inserted the D-sub connector and the Molex connector with the OAT wiring to the back of the ADAHRS.  I then searched for the brass screws to attach the module to the brackets.  I could not find them.  I decided to go to Home Depot and purchase some 6-32 brass screws.  I spent a whole $1.05 on a package of brass screws and returned home.  I installed the ADAHRS module with red Loctite.  I also pulled the slack out of the cables and tightened the wire ties.

I then clecoed the ELT mounting plate to the fuselage and drilled the matching #30 holes for the rivets.  I deburred the holes and then installed the mounting plate.  I crimped a ground wire onto the black wire from the buzzer with a butt splice.  I crimped a ring connector on the end of the new ground wire.  I crimped a butt splice to the red wire and installed the buzzer.  I laid the ELT on the mounting plate and installed the phone cable to the ELT connector adapter.  I crimped red and black wires from the buzzer to the red and black wires from the adapter.  I also attached the blue wire from the adapter to the GPS wire previously installed to the ELT location.  I installed the antenna on the bracket I put in last evening and hooked up the coax cable between the antenna and the ELT unit.  As I attached the connection adapter the unit squealed and the red light came on.  I realized I had turned the remote switch on the instrument panel to the 'on' position.  I turned it off and installed the adapter.  All went well.