Monday, May 28, 2012

Nearing Completion of Section 42D

Today is Memorial Day.  A day to give thanks for those who have defended our freedoms.  The flags are flying in the neighborhood today.  This morning, after pulling weeds in the flower beds and watering the vegetable garden I started to work on finishing up Section 42D.  I put the 9-pin D-sub connector on the 8-wires to the tailcone.  The 2-twisted pair and the 4-wire conductor.  I also put the ¼" nylon connectors on the static and pitot air lines.  These are now ready to be attached to the ADAHRS.  I left the wire ties loose until the ADAHRS is installed.  I will most likely pull the excess wires back and loop them near the last bulkhead as they enter the tailcone.  At that point I will tighten the wire ties.
I marked the AP disconnect wires and then cut them.  I installed Molex pins on the wires connected to the button and installed Molex receivers on the fuselage wires.  I inserted the Molex receivers into the appropriate half of the connector.  I will insert the pins in the other half of the connector after I install it in the center section of the instrument panel.
I rolled the fuselage back upright and worked on the headset power wires.  I pulled them through the last rib snap bushing on each side and then put a piece of heat shrink on the ends.  I wire tied them to the headset wires.  I then pulled the Nav power wires through the last snap bushing and attached them to the floating wing connectors.  That portion of Section 42D is finally finished.  While the fuselage was in the upright position I decided to install the upper engine mount to the firewall.  I drilled the holes to 3/8" and installed the engine mount with the appropriate nuts, bolts, washers and cotter pins.
I replaced the cover plates over the floating wing connectors and rolled the fuselage back on its side.  Next I cleaned up and put away all of the tools and materials I have had set up in the garage over the last several days.  I turned my attention to the instrument panels.  I used the microstop to countersink the center and left instrument panels.  I also prepped the Instrument panel support angle  and deburred the edges.  I then riveted the support angle to the left panel and riveted nutplates to the left and center panels.  Next I put the vinyl carbon fiber wrap on the center and left panels.
Of course I had already installed the vinyl wrap on the right panel a few weeks ago.  I did my best to line up the diagonal lines from panel to panel.  I think I did a pretty good job.  I have learned a lot about installing this stuff.  The heat gun really helps to get the stuff into the inside corners.  After installing the vinyl wrap on the center and left instrument panels I decided to attach the ELT remote switch and the intercom to the right panel.  I read though the instructions in both Section 42D and Section 42 to get it right.  I hooked the panels together for the full effect.  I think they look pretty good.
I took the panels down to the garage and clecoed them in place.  I like what I see.