Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Start Section 42D – Fuselage Retrofit

This evening I started working on Section 42D.  To start I modified my work table.  I removed the swing-up end extensions.  Now the table is only 8' long again.  I moved the fuselage so it can be more fully supported on the short table.  I placed a piece 4x4 under the tail section and covered it with a moving pad.  I rolled the fuselage over on its side one more time.
I removed the instrument panels and the upper fuselage skin from over the instrument shelf.  I then proceeded to remove the instrument stack support angles and the instrument panel support angles.  I used a 1/16th inch punch to remove the mandrels from the rivets.  I then carefully drilled out the rivets and removed the supports and angles.  I set these parts and pieces in my supply box of spare and discarded parts.  I then turned my attention to working on the front lip of the instrument shelf.  I clamped a piece of 2x2 to the bottom edge of the instrument shelf to add support.  
I then used a #19 drill bit and final drilled the 6-holes in the center of the shelf lip.  I then used my newly purchased platenut jig to drill the holes for the platenuts.  That worked out as slick as can be.  After drawing a reference line through the holes in the lip it was easy to drill the #40 holes for the platenut rivets.  I dimpled the #40 holes and the platenuts and riveted them in place.  I also cut the hole in the shelf for the USB port.  I filed the edges of the hole for the USB port and deburred the newly drilled holes.