Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Started Section 42C – Install Instrumentation

This evening I started working on section 42C.  The first thing I did was break off the stud on the upper left corner of the fuse/switch module.  I attempted to install the module and I think I cross threaded the fastener.  I didn't know my own strength because it just sheared off.  I sent a picture of what I had done to Van's.  They are sending me new studs for the corner.  I need to be more careful.
I installed the control module to the instrument shelf.  I also connected the 'fuselage', 'optional' and 'autopilot' connectors to the control module.
I attached the engine monitoring module to the fire wall and the back-up battery to the instrument shelf.  I installed the FFIS connector to the control module.   I routed the harness wires through the cushioned clamp and attached the USB connection to the instrument shelf and hooked up the battery connection.  I also installed the connectors to the engine monitoring module.  There are a lot of wires but the harnesses all seem to be well made and everything fits just as it should.  I hope it continues to go this way through the remainder of the build.  I also installed the Skyview screen and the ignition module to the instrument panel.  I hooked up the appropriate harness connections to both.  
I installed the fuses into the fuse/switch module.  I will need to replace the broken stud before I can install the module on the instrument panel.  I also installed the fuse label to the fuse holder.  I installed the extra fuses and attached the Velcro.  I installed the extra fuse holder to the inside of the map box door.
I installed the transponder to the firewall.  I also installed the transponder antenna  cable and harness to the transponder unit.  I ran the harness wires through the appropriate snap bushings, the cushioned clamp and attached the connector to the control module.  I routed the harness for the intercom from the control module to the intercom unit attached to the instrument panel.  I connected both ends to the appropriate fittings.   I attached the phone cable to the ELT remote switch previously attached to the instrument panel.  I crimped a ring terminal to the ELT switch ground wire and attached it to the fastener at the corner of the cooling fan.  I put 2-wire ties on the phone cord to furnish strain relief to the ground wires. 
I prepped the 2-mounting plates for paint.  One is for the GPS antenna and the other is for the ELT antenna.  I will paint them tomorrow.  I installed the fasteners to attach the map box to the instrument shelf one more time.  I hope this is the last time I have to do that.