Friday, November 22, 2013

SkyView / SL-40 Com Radio and Self Fueling

Yesterday I received several items I have ordered in the last week.  I received 2 each 5-gallon metal gas cans, a filter funnel and a grounding cable with a clamp on each end.  I will need these as to fuel the airplane.  I will be working with the Salt Lake Department of Airports to become certified.  Until I am certified and show that I have the proper equipment I cannot do any fueling.
I also received the part (wire) to connect the SkyView to the SL-40 Com Radio.  By installing this wire I will be able to put frequencies looked up in the SkyView airport data base directly into the SL-40 Com Radio.  That means upon looking up a frequency I can push a button and it will be tuned into the SL-40 standby.  Then by pushing the switch button the new frequency will be ready to use.  I put the end of the wire in the D-Sub connector on the AV5000A control module.  
I ran it along the wire bundle over to the SL-40 and put wire ties along the way.  I used a mirror to put the pin in the connector on the SL-40 radio tray.  It all went really slick.
It was a tight fit for big fingers but I was finally able to remove the screw holding the original ground wire and slip the new ground wire ring inplace and reinstall the screw.  It is really cold today so I didn't stay long at the hangar.