Friday, November 8, 2013

Electrical Trouble Shooting Continued

Today I continued to chase the electrical problems.  I traced wiring all over the place. 
I removed the wing root wiring connections and checked the wires going to each connector.  I discovered I had the 5,6,7,8 pins reversed on the right wing connector.  I removed and reinserted the pins.  At that point I had power to the landing light – both steady and pulse.  I also learned that I had power to the wing tips, sort-of.  When I depressed the NAV/STROBE switch the Nav light had power, the Strobe had power, the AP Disconnect button illuminated and the cockpit light illuminated.  When I turned the switch off everything went dark.  When I turned on the NAV switch I had power to the strobe lights only.  Still no cockpit light and no AP disconnect illumination.  I called Van’s and spoke with Gus Funnell.  We both thought it strange that I was able to establish continuity from the pins on the option harness at the control module to the wing roots, but the NAV switch does not make the things come on correctly.  Because the strobes come on with the NAV switch we thought maybe the 33 & 34 pins might be switched in the harness. The 33 pin is power to the Nav lights and pin 34 is power to the strobes.  I pulled the options connector from the control module and switched the pins.  That was not the thing to do.  I lost most of the power to the wings I had.  No cockpit and no AP disconnect.  I switched the pins back and now I am having trouble getting the wing top lighting to work.  I stopped for the day.  I will try again on Monday.