Friday, November 1, 2013

Adjust Potentiometers and Trouble Shoot Electrical

Today I continued to work on the electrical challenges.  I removed the master switch module from the instrument panel so I could get to the trim tab pot.  I also removed the SkyView  screen. 
I discovered that the major problem with the trim tab was the pot was turned completely off.  Yesterday I turned the trim pot clock wise but nothing happened.  Today I turned it CCW and viola, it works.  By turning the pot CCW I was able to get the trim to function properly.  It now moves up and down and the travel time is 25 seconds.  After working on the potentiometers for a while I decided to cut the pot adjusting tool in half so I could more easily get to the adjustment screws.  It worked well.  With only half the tool length I was able to do the adjustments on the side of the Control Module. Next I decided to work on the sound.  I plugged in an MP3 player and put some musing into the system.  I plugged in the pilot headset.  I had the volume on the head set maxed and the volume on the MP3 player maxed.  After turning the Aux 1(L) and Aux (R) pots 25 turns CCW I was able to finally hear some music.  It is not very loud but it is there.  I worked on adjusting the EFIS levels.  I don't think I did a very good job.  On Monday when I am back out to the airport I will work on them again.  I entered the Audio Setup menu in SkyView and set the Volume Control / Test to 100%.  I turned on the radio and tuned to the AWOS frequency 134.425 and there it was.  Because the input from the MP3 player is fairly quiet I am not sure I was able to accomplish anything in the way of improving distortion.  I will work on that again on Monday.  I am happy that some of my electrical/audio problems are being corrected.  I still have a ways to go.  I took some photos of the switches showing what happens when they are activated.  For now the problem centers on the NAV/STROBE – NAV switch.   Again, when I turn on the NAV/STROBE switch the cockpit light and the AP disconnect light illuminate.  I also discovered that both the top and bottom green lights of the switch illuminate.  When I put the switch in the off position both lights go out but the top and bottom green lights in the switch continue to glow for 1-2 seconds.  When I turn on the NAV switch there is not cockpit light and no AP disconnect button light, but again, both the top and bottom green lights in the switch illuminate.  When turned off the continue to glow for 1-2 seconds.  
This is what happens with the NAV/STROBE switch activated.  Both green lights in the switch glow and the AP disconnect button (and the cockpit light) illuminates.
This is what happens when the NAV switch is activated.  Both green lights in the switch glow but the AP disconnect button (and the cockpit light) are dark.
This is what happens immediately after turn off the switch in either setting.  Both green lights in the switch glow for 1-2 seconds.  Gus at Van's thinks 2 of the pins in the option harness may be swapped.  He thinks pins 32 and 33 could be swapped.  I will send this new information to Van's and see if they can give me any more advice.  I may also send this to Stein Air and see if they have any suggestions as to what the problem is with the wiring.