Monday, November 18, 2013

More Miscellaneous Stuff

Friday evening I went to the EEA Chapter meeting.  We toured the Boeing facility at the airport.  It was a lot of fun.  Tom Driscoll was there and I asked him some questions about his RV-12.  He now has 25 hours on the hobbs meter.  He told me about an optional data wire that connects the SkyView and com radio.  With the wire installed you can put frequencies into the radio from the SkyView airport screen. He says it is pretty cool.  I decided to install the wire.  At the airport today I looked to see if the wire is already in the harness.  It is not.  I will order one from Vans' this evening.
I also decided to install a bolt holding fixture to the bottom of the fuel tank. Several builders have reported that when installing the fuel return line to the bottom of the tank they have broken the seal on the fitting, causing a leak under the tank.  First I removed the tank from the fuselage.  Next I cut out a piece of 1/8th thickness aluminum to use for the hold fixture.  I laid out a hole the size and shape of the fuel fitting then using a drill and file I made the hexagonal opening to hold the fitting.
I think it turned out well and fits the fitting just right.  I mixed some Pro-Seal and lathered the bottom of the fixture then placed it on the bottom of the tank over the fuel fitting.
 I put some Pro-seal around the fitting to help hold everything together.  The size of the plate and the thick layer of Pro-seal should do the trick.