Monday, November 11, 2013

Electrical Trouble Shooting Continues

Today I hooked up my test lights.  I have 2-lights on each side of the cockpit hooked up to the wing root connectors.  To make this work I purchased 2-more lights and some new test leads.  With the new test leads I was able to get the connections to work.  Once again I have wing tip lighting.  It is still not correct but I do have power at the root connectors.  
When I turn on the NAV/STROBE switch I have the nav lights, strobe lights, cockpit light and AP disconnect light.  When I turn on the NAV switch I have the strobe lights only.  No cockpit and no AP Disconnect.  When I spoke with Gus last Friday he told me he would check the Factory Demo RV-12 and see if the cockpit and AP disconnect lights come on with the NAV switch.  He called me on my way home from the hangar to tell me they did.  He also thought there might be a possibility that there is a problem with the wiring from the control module to the switch module.  The electrical drawings shows pin 14 (Nav Power) on the control module goes to pin 9 (Nav) on the switch module.  Also, pin 1 (Strobe Power) on the control module goes to pin 7 (Strobe) on the switch module.  I did a continuity test and found them reversed.  In reality, pin 14 on the control module goes to pin 7 on the switch module and pin 1 on the control module goes to pin 9 on the switch module.  I have emailed Gus to see if he suggests changing the pins.  I don't want to do anything that will cause additional problems.  I have also asked if he thinks changing the pins will remedy the cockpit and AP disconnect light problems.  I'll wait for his email before doing anything.
While at the airport I used my newly fabricated prop fixture to see if the blades are truly 1o off from each other.  I clamped the fixture with the electronic level to one blade.  I rotated the prop and attached the fixture and level to the other blade.  The blades are 1o off from being the same.  I will tackle adjusting the propeller another day.