Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Electrical Trouble Shooting

Gus confirmed that I need to switch the pins.  I switched the pins in the option connector and viola everything works just as it is supposed to.    
The NAV switch turns on the nav lights, the AP disconnect  and the cockpit light.  The NAV/STROBE switch turns on the nav lights, the strobe lights, the AP disconnect and the cockpit light.   I am happy to have that problem solved.  
Having been able to put that problem to bed I decided to install the new Molex micro connectors at the trim servo tray.  I had cut the connectors off when the trim motor would not function.  I didn't like the way I had initially installed the micro connectors anyway so I am glad to replace the whole Molex connection.  
I drew a small diagram showing where the various wires are to be installed in the new connector body.  I taped the sketch to the fuselage and proceeded to strip the wires coming from the servo tray.  I carefully crimped the connectors on the wires and the carefully inserted them into the Molex connector.  I was able to get them oriented correctly and they locked in place without too much effort.  
Because there are 2-pair of white wires I decided to mark one of the pairs with some black electrical tape to identify them.  I stripped the wires and crimped on the micro connectors.  I inserted the connectors in to the Molex connector.  I guess I was finally able to do something right.  The AST trim servo works perfectly at this point.